• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Russiaruler

Sergeant
Oct 24, 2017
Hello, I recently joined this forum—although I have been reading different AARs on here for some time now—and decided to create my own AAR. Namely I became interested in the idea of playing as an uncivilized nation and seeing how far I could go by remaining isolationist and not Westernizing, after reading the Serenity AAR as isolationist Japan by Rensslaer.

So I thought to also make an isolationist AAR, but as China, since the history of the Qing Empire in the 19th and early 20th centuries always interested me. Of course Japan eventually had its successful Meiji Restoration and Rensslaer ended up Westernizing Japan too, but China never had much successful Westernization before 1911, nothing comparable to the Meiji Restoration besides the failed Hundred Days Reform attempted by the Guangxu emperor. The inability to Westernize played a major role in the fall of the Qing.

In a similar vein I will play as an uncivilized China but will try to avoid Westernizing as long as possible, essentially roleplaying from the view of the Manchu elites of the time period. I want to see how the game ends up going with China not Westernizing, as of course you can Westernize it without much difficulty and then quickly become a great power because of the huge industrial potential. But we’ll see how the world will look like with minimal interaction and whether or not I will be able to avoid giving up Chinese territories to European powers.

The name “Song Long Qi” means “Praise the Dragon Flag”, the name of a song adopted by the Qing Empire’s army ministry in 1906 as the Qing military anthem.

800px-Flag_of_the_Qing_Dynasty_(1862-1889).svg.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, and to AAR-writing. I hope you find it an enjoyable experience.

A very interesting concept - I look forward to reading more.

The Beginning (1836—1838)

In January 1836, China still stands as the center of Asian civilization—as evidenced by the numerous requests for an audience with the Qing Emperor by envoys from all corners of Asia. But China has become increasingly aware of the wide-eyed barbarians approaching its shores in their smoke-billowing ships, though these are just a minor nuisance who, in time, will learn to appreciate this more ancient civilization’s glory. Particularly concerning are the foreigners known as the Englishmen, who seemed to have conquered India to the south of the Chinese frontier. Still, the Qing court does not see this as a very important issue. Besides renting the port of Macao to Portuguese commercial administration, China has had very little dealings with these recently arrived barbarians.

But first the newly ascended Emperor decided to restructure the government’s composition, with the more moderate Imperial Faction falling from his good graces and being replaced by the Conservatives. This anti-foreign faction of the Manchu nobles stands for preserving the status quo and for minimal interaction with the barbarians. He also decided to increase taxes on the lower and middle classes to 72% and 83%, respectively, will only minimally raising taxes on the upper class. Wanting to increase the ability of our famous Confucian bureaucrats and scholar gentry, the funding for education and administration were raised to 80%.

Turning the government's attention to barbarian affairs, it seems that the nomadic savages on the western frontier of the Qing empire had the audacity to believe themselves worthy of presenting a treaty on equal terms to the Son of Heaven. Needless to say the Emperor denied their request for a defensive military alliance, as the barbarian affairs experts at court believe they are just trying to entangle China in future wars against the encroaching Russian Empire from the north. No need to pay any attention to the border rebels or get dragged into an inter-barbarian conflict.

Fr7lQWp.png

Additionally the imperial court declined requests from more minor Asian nations that are not deserving of the Qing Emperor’s consideration. Meanwhile, China turns its attention to the traditional vassals we are used to dealing with—such as Tibet, Japan, Siam and Korea. In order to reaffirm the loyalties of our vassals, we sent an envoy to Tibet to request an alliance—which they agreed to, as they should. China also accepted requests from the shogun of Japan and the king of Siam for defensive arrangements.​

NNxjSk8.png

To improve the military the Chinese begin promoting Officers in the Wenzhou region and start researching the Command Principle. The Emperor has also re-positioned some of his guard forces from Peking, leaving the 9000 men of the Forbidden Banners to defend the imperial capital, while sending the Mongolian steppe cavalry and the Manchu Blue Banners outwards into the countryside. Other Han Green Standard units throughout the country also received new garrison locations. Meanwhile, seeing China's annual tributes running a bit low the government decides to increase taxes some more.

MIZLDNt.png

Throughout 1836, the Chinese have become vaguely more aware of the surrounding nations and their dealings, but mostly the Qing diplomats’ reports on these events have gone ignored in the Forbidden City. Only those countries near China do the imperial court pay attention to, as in June, when China decided to sign a defensive agreement with the king of Burma. The following month the Emperor found out that his financiers apparently had more dealings with the barbarian Europeans than he was aware of, as the small nation of Holstein in Europe, which he and most of his court never heard of before, had apparently defaulted on some of its debts owed to the middle kingdom.

t3nY0xF.png

ORg586G.png

In November 1836 some minor Indian state that no one has heard of offered a defensive pact to China, which was denied. Later that month and in December the border savages from the western wastelands sent a few more envoys, who were again sent back to their tribes empty handed.

With the start of the new year of 1837, the Imperial Faction lost influence at court while the Conservatives gained some, but surprisingly to the Emperor and his advisors the more pro-foreign Reformers faction is also growing. In late January the Emperor refused a request from a Bhutanese envoy for an alliance with the Qing.

FRwadzN.png

In response to complaints about a lack of supplies by our military commanders, the Emperor agreed to raise the military budget. The government again declined requests from minor states on China's border for military alliances. Meanwhile, Qing agents reported that the vassals in Japan are building up a large army. Although no one would dare suggest that they would present any threat to the Qing, the Emperor decided to take this into consideration in determining future military policies.

Then in January 1838 the government received a surprising development: ambassadors from the faraway Persia, under the Qajar dynasty, requested an alliance. Unlike China's vassals, these particular foreigners have more respect, having had relations with the Chinese empire for centuries. The Qing Emperor decided to agree to the Persians’ request.

sLtGStm.png

Another event quickly monopolized the attentions of the court a few months later. The fact that the Koreans chose to enter into an alliance with Japan in March 1838 but rebuked Qing envoys asking for a similar agreement has infuriated the Conservatives on the Qing court. This slight by China's oldest vassal is viewed as a loss of face and an insult. Many are calling for military action to bring the Koreans in line, but the emperor refuses to do so, not seeing it as a reason to go to war over and believing that Korea will come around eventually as they realize the full implications of their thoughtless actions.

However, in light of this the emperor chose to increase military spending and began considering options on expanding the imperial army, recruiting new infantry that would be trained more along foreign lines. That is not to suggest that China would adopt the ways of the barbarians—far from it—but merely gain some additional technology in order to improve the striking power of the imperial armies.

His decision to increase military spending was further bolstered by the news that the British had declared war on the major Indian state of Panjab. So far China had not witnessed any overt aggression by these barbarians so close to its borders, and this was a wake up call to strengthen the army. But before the military authorities could begin their recruitment tours throughout the Chinese countryside, the British had defeated the Panjabi forces earlier than the government in Peking had anticipated and decided to follow up their victory by declaring war on Tibet. Tibet is an important vassal and close to the Chinese empire's heartland. This caused great alarm and outrage in Peking, and unlike the situation with Korea which could be ignored without much consequence, the Qing emperor could not bear to see this blatant act of barbarian arrogance and disregard of the dynasty's interests go unanswered.​

950nA2r.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, and to AAR-writing. I hope you find it an enjoyable experience.

A very interesting concept - I look forward to reading more.

Thank you, stnylan. It seems like it's pretty fun.

So it hasn't taken long to get entangled with these foreign devils.

So it hasn't taken long to get entangled with these foreign devils.

Unfortunately yes, I was hoping my allying of Tibet would stall UK from declaring war considering the military score of China, but apparently not.

Interesting idea, and good luck :p

(Id suggest uploading the images via imgur so the thumbnails aren't so small - especially on mobile it is hard to see)

Thanks. Before I wasn't sure where to upload images, but from now on I will try using imgur.

Pro-tip for using imgur in case you didn't know (since you said you'd be using it in the future): you'll want to convert any file that's a .bmp to a .jpg or .png, because imgur gets really weird with .bmp and will screw up the colours.

That's quite the start. Having a war with the British so early is bound to be interesting.

You mean no Yellow Peril and no Chinese conquest of London?:DIsolation like historical?Well,good luck.

No, not this time (probably). ;) Yes, I'll follow the historical path of China remaining voluntary isolated from the West - as long as I can, at least. Inevitably I will probably Westernize eventually, but I will try to drag it out as long as possible just as historically it had been.

Hmm, which version are you playing? Are you using any mods?
Other than that, this should be interesting. Count me in!

Thanks for your interest. I am playing V2 v1.3, no added mods or anything, just the base game as I bought it.

Pro-tip for using imgur in case you didn't know (since you said you'd be using it in the future): you'll want to convert any file that's a .bmp to a .jpg or .png, because imgur gets really weird with .bmp and will screw up the colours.

Thank you for the advice, I just finished converting the images for The Beginning after uploading them on imgur and all of them appear to be .png files, so hopefully there should not be anymore image problems.

That's quite the start. Having a war with the British so early is bound to be interesting.

Yes, I have a feeling too that it will be quite interesting, although it is a bit disappointing that I only went 2 years before the Europeans decided to try to have a go at me (albeit indirectly through one of my vassals--or ally, but vassal from the roleplaying point of view).

The First Anglo-Chinese War (1838—1840)

2E7dp7B.png
Although the Qing court was not expecting to clash with the foreign barbarians, in November 1838 the imperial government made the decision to defend Tibet from British encroachment. Their insolence for attacking an important vassal close to the Chinese heartland (from the roleplaying point of view, Tibet is seen as a vassal)—especially one that had signed an agreement on mutual defense with China in any case—could not be tolerated. Despite the fact that very little is known about the enemy barbarian horde at present, there is much confidence in Peking that the imperial army will soon enlighten their foolishness. The Emperor is cautious but the younger nobles have assured him that our victory is all but assured.

On the 23rd, an imperial order for the nearest Green Standard armies to advance towards Tibet was given, and the Son of Heaven also gave orders for the elite Manchu Bannermen, armed with more advanced equipment, to go join them from north China. On December 26 Peking received word from messengers that the distant Kashgar province was being occupied by a contingent of foreign troops, and so several armies were redirected to go evict the hated invaders.

The Qing court smugly awaited the news of the empire’s imminent victory, with the information arriving that our Han Green Standard forces engaged an enemy cavalry brigade on 3 April 1839, in the mountainous Tibetan province of Lhodrak. On the 15th the government received word of the victory in this battle, resulting in 803 dead barbarians with 1367 of our own killed as the enemy attempted to attack our positions. A few days later the court again celebrated when Peking received word General Tsarong Rinpoche’s Army of Tibet had defeated another British brigade that had entered the Tibetan mountains from the southwest.

9rgbVaI.png

Those events were muted a bit when word arrived that the Kashgar militia had fallen to barbarian forces after 130 days of resistance, before our full Chinese force could arrive. However, scouts determined that the enemy has begun heading towards the neighboring Khotan region where Qing armies were rallying under General Hesehn Linge, which were given orders to dig in and prepare for battle.

c1JJgP8.png

Reportedly, General Hesehn had died of a heart attack just as the battle began, leaving his forces under another commander of no significance, but despite his death the Chinese Green Standard troops put up fierce resistance. News of the victory against this attack barbarian force at Khotan in mid-July was well received in Peking, especially considering that nearly 12,000 enemies had perished only in exchange for about 5200 Chinese casualties. It was accompanied by the fact that the defenders of Lhodrak were again being forced to defend their positions, this time against a bigger British force. The fact that Chinese losses were greatly smaller than those of the barbarians at Khotan was cause for celebration at the imperial court.

BKP4byK.png

The Emperor’s military advisors noted that so far every victory has been defensive, and advocated a policy of letting the barbarians exhaust themselves with offensives before launching a counterattack. However, the hot-blooded nobles of the Conservative faction saw this policy as weak, and pleas for assistance from the Tibetan allies had to be answered. In late August general Tsarong’s Tibetan army was forced to withdraw by the British, resulting in more attention being given to the Tibetan front. But in September a combined Tibetan-Chinese force under General Tsarong defeated the British forces of General Zachary Wood at Shigatse, checking the barbarian advance.​

9r2p173.png

However, the foreigners did manage to defeat at Chinese army at Khotan by bringing a stronger force in December, and the mountainous Aksu province to the north of Kashgar had also fallen. Meanwhile, the Tibetans were driven out of the western half of their country and were now advancing on Lhasa, the Tibetan capital. Several setbacks in battle in the early months of the new year 1840 gave the imperial government disappointment and headaches, being forced to call in additional troops from northern China as the Englishmen had tens of thousands of reinforcements pour into Tibet and western China. In addition, the country’s best generals were sent to take up command of the armies that were currently at the front. On the positive side, the apparent blockade imposed by the foreign fleets seems to have barely caused any effect to the Chinese economy.

2tjTii8.png

However, the imperial court received word that the foreigners often suffered more casualties than we did during battle. Although Qing armies were defeated at Lop Nur in May, a second forced managed to drive out the British in the following months, giving more hope in China’s ultimate triumph. On this occasion, the entire force of barbarians was annihilated. This further solidified the Conservatives’ belief in the superiority of Chinese civilization and empire over the so-called “civilized” barbarians.

By the end of June, Kashgar and Aksu were liberated from barbarian occupation with only minimal casualties on the Chinese side (met by elated crowds greeting the Emperor’s soldiers as heroes, the report to Peking stated), but we received word that the island of Formosa off the Chinese coast had fallen to an enemy landing force, while large parts of Tibet continued to suffer under barbarian occupation. The war, dragging on for months, was far from over and some members of the court began to show doubt as casualties mounted.

vAUVIqn.png

One of the Chinese armies had been shamefully defeated at Lhasa, the Tibetan capital, by a numerically superior British force, but on August 4 a counteroffensive was launched to dislodge the barbarians upon the insistence of the Conservative nobles, ignoring the warnings of the predominantly Han generals. Despite initial successes, some 20,000 British reinforcements arrived and the attempt ended in failure as the Qing imperial troops were forced to retreat, much to the emperor’s dismay. However, the dishonor was rectified when a Chinese army arrived in the Tibetan province of Chamdo in the midst of a tense battle between the Tibetans under General Jamphel Dzasa and the barbarians, helping our allies drive them out of the region after weeks of savage combat dragging throughout September and October.

Lbiy9T6.png

Chamdo came under attack again by an isolated British brigade, temporarily pinning the Tibetans and Chinese forces there, but it was a useless gesture. Another Chinese army made its way north from their positions in Lhodrak, attacking the now-isolated barbarian garrison holding Lhasa. General Tong Kang'an managed to subdue the foreign force there after an intense battle, inflicting heavy losses upon the British. Their commander, General Hugh Smith-Dorrien, who had led the British occupation of Xinjiang, chose to withdraw with the survivors. The barbarians must have learned from the liberation of Lhasa that their cause was a hopeless one, as their representatives arrived in Peking to ask the Qing Emperor for a ceasefire and negotiations, to which the imperial government agreed.

ldwYdTS.png

The final peace agreement, with the British agreeing to honor Tibet’s original borders, was signed on 4 December 1840.

News of the empire’s glorious victory was met with jubilant crowds in Peking, celebrating the success in China’s first war against the wide-eyed barbarians! But even as the victory celebrations continued across the empire, the Son of Heaven and his advisors already began considering the implications of it. Since they first appeared on China’s shores, these Europeans had been noticed, but until now had been largely ignored, assuming that they would leave China alone. This act of unparalleled aggression against the dynasty and its vassals have convinced the Emperor, and even many of the Conservatives, that the Qing would have to face such threats again inevitably, and this victory in the Anglo-Chinese War would most likely be only a temporary stop on foreign expansion in the region.​

tiqwCBV.png

Because of this, the emperor chose to research Post-Napoleonic Thought despite its clear foreign origins—learning about the wars of faraway Europe will allow the Qing to better understand the barbarians and fight them in the future. This conflict between China and Britain had proved that the traditional Confucian order is still the best system, but it is necessary to adopt some of the foreigners’ technological secrets in order to make sure that the imperial armies continue to remain ever victorious.

In addition, efforts to lift the old stigma surrounding the soldier’s profession are being taken in order to increase recruitment of new troops (through the continued promotion of Officers)—Chinese armies admittedly did take heavy losses, even if the majority of them were due to lack of supplies and disease (attrition) rather than falling in combat. Even the elite Manchu Blue and Red Banners, about 18,000 of who took part in the war, were completely decimated, partly because they were constantly fighting at the front.

Meanwhile, the country has gained prestige (surprisingly only 1 prestige) in the eyes of other barbarian nations for having defeated what is apparently regarded as the strongest power of Europe and the world. If anything, the emperor believes, this proves that China is the true powerhouse of humanity, as it always has been. The Conservatives have seen an increase in their influence at court but even they acknowledge that it is time to begin looking to adopt some of the West’s technology in order to defend the empire—but nothing beyond that.

(PS – I apologize for not providing enough maps to visualize the situation, I was mainly focused on getting the details of the battles. I will seek to rectify this for the future wars.)

No worries. Very clear that it was a hard-fought fight. Looks like you smothered them with numbers - hopefully you will not have to try and do that again for a while. But a glorious victory - no doubt it will largely increase Chinese confidence in their superiority.

No worries. Very clear that it was a hard-fought fight. Looks like you smothered them with numbers - hopefully you will not have to try and do that again for a while. But a glorious victory - no doubt it will largely increase Chinese confidence in their superiority.

Indeed, at least there will be a five year gap between the next time UK can declare war. But hopefully they will turn their attention elsewhere. And yes, it did confirm what the Qing elites were already thinking. Also, thanks for the mention in the other thread.

Congrats on your victory! Also, may I suggest getting the DLC for a complete experience?

Thanks! Also, can you tell me more about this DLC?

Alright, thanks. I will look into it.

EDIT: Just got the A House Divided DLC, it looks very interesting, but I will continue this AAR on the base game since that's where I already started.

Last edited:
China's Afterglow (1841—1844)
As the afterglow of China’s victory over the British began to die down in January 1841, the sobered Qing court had come to the realization that they could no longer completely ignore the barbarians from distant lands. From then on the Emperor of China resolved to monitor the foreign situation more closely, but only just a bit. But China had once again proved that the traditional Confucian order of Asia still reigned supreme, and there was no need for too many changes in the country. In the meantime, the government decided to accelerate the necessary military expansion project that had started before the Anglo-Chinese War. That included an increase in military spending to 80%, the same as the education and administration budgets.

The emperor was also surprised to learn from his agents that subversive internal societies began to form, including a faction of anarcho-liberals that sought to overthrow the dynasty. But for the time being they seemed to be too small to pose any threat and went mostly ignored by the government, although they were still kept under surveillance.

In the diplomatic sphere, the imperial government monitored its vassals more closely. Denying a request for an alliance from the insignificant king of Luang Prabang, the Emperor took measures to increase relations with another traditional tributary state, Dai Nam, signing an alliance with them in June 1841.

H7CnTNa.png

He was also concerned to learn that some of the barbarians from Europe were apparently vying for diplomatic influence in Japan, another Chinese vassal.

fmSAEll.png

However, in August the Emperor decided to grant the Portuguese, seemingly the more benign Europeans, temporary military access to Chinese territory during their war against another country known as the Netherlands. Although many of the Conservatives were against this, in doing so the Emperor demonstrated his magnanimity towards those foreigners that accept and kowtow to Qing rule.

4idmwPk.png

In the military sphere, by late October the first new infantry regiments were organized, which continued to be recruited throughout the next several months. In February of 1842 a notable event had occurred in the creation of the country’s first artillery unit, which was formed from soldiers in Nanchang. Trained in using these cannons, it became the model on which other Chinese artillery regiments were raised.​

xlLwda0.png

Military reforms continued, and by December 1843 more than 50 regiments of the ‘new armies’ were raised, consisting of trained infantry armed with many foreign weapons. These new armies also included some limited artillery units. As part of the reform, the Manchu Banners defending Peking—the Forbidden Banners—were bolstered by newly recruited Manchu new army units. Among them were two artillery brigades. Having completed research of the Napoleonic Wars and other barbarian methods of war, this material improved the understanding of Chinese officers.

Next the Emperor chose to research military staff systems so more cavalry could be recruited.

RXEu02s.png

Around this time, economic reforms took place, with an increase in trade between China and the barbarians. The quality of cotton from Gansu, Xinjiang attracted the attention of some German merchants, adding some prestige (2). There was also the worrying trend of extended barbarian influence in vassal states, with the courts of Nepal, Bhutan, and Siam having accepted increased British influence. The Chinese government saw this as an indicator that despite their defeat the English barbarians were still intent on expansion in the region.

Wio7Rg1.png

However, more concerning to the Qing court was the increase in Russian influence, who up until recently were viewed by China as similar to its vassals because of the land border—different from those barbarians who came from the seas. However, in December of 1843 there was apparently some assistance from them after an affair with other foreigners, and afterwards they demanded that China handed over a large segment of the Manchu homeland in the north to them. This outrageous demand prompted a debate in the Qing court, whether to go to war as China had with Britain or to accept their demands.

Those who wanted to accept the demands believed that this would guarantee protection from the barbarians, but the Conservatives could not tolerate the idea of a barbarian power now demanding a large piece of Chinese territory. Not only that, but a piece of the homeland of the Qing Dynasty.

AbVhEpm.png

The Son of Heaven made up his mind but let members of his government to argue for some time, until eventually deciding to reject the foreigners’ unfathomable demands, regardless of the potential war. If China could defeat the foremost power of the barbarian lands, then there was no reason it couldn't teach these lesser foreigners a lesson as well. The cultural center of Asia and the world had no reason to be treated by barbarians in this way. The demands were rejected, and further attempts to mend the situation ended poorly. A couple weeks later, Russia declared war.

In January 1844, China stood on the brink of yet another conflict.

LKYoLd2.png

So the second entanglement with the cursed foreign devils. Hopefully these Russians can be dispatched as easily as their English kin.